Friday 6 July 2007

ABECEDARIAN

Where do I start? I have read a lot of blogs these last few months. Everybody raves about the therapeutic effects of writing your thoughts and feelings and experiences down. To help you clarify your thoughts. To have a record of events. For posterity. Whatever. For now, I simply think it is a fun thing to do.

Too often I let people label me. I let people tell me what I am and what I am not; what to be and what not to be; how to behave and how not to. I am tired of that. I am tired of trying to be the way other people want me to be. I don’t want to get upset when I don’t meet the standards other people set for me. I want to be me. In all my glories, with all my imperfections, in all my strengths, with all my inadequacies.

So I picked my own labels (before someone else does), words that count, to me. Most of these adjectives describe some aspect of me. Some of them are characteristics I have had for a long time, qualities I understand and am happy with. A few are words that I am embarrassed to use to describe myself, traits that I don’t necessarily want or want to improve on. A few of these are things I want to be, and a few persona randomly thrown in just because. Together, they are all me.

I am African, Bisexual and Christian, a foreigner in a strange land trying to reconcile my sexuality with my faith. I Dream, of a time when everyone has Equal rights and privileges and when Females are treated as they deserve. I spend my days as a Graduate student, but I really want to be a Humanitarian, with very Idealist views about changing the world. In Joy, I share my Kindness with the people I am Loyal to. Although I may come of as Maladjusted sometimes, my Nerdy Optimism wishes for a Plural society. In my Quest for knowledge, my Redeemed soul is sometimes at odds with the Science I study. I am Tall, Unique, Voluptuous, and all Woman. I may seem to be a Xenophile but I am really Yearning to live a life full of Zest.

Here goes nothing.

No comments: